Food faddists and self-proclaimed experts with a modicum of nutritional knowledge will suggest that we should alkalize our diets. So we should all become vegetarians, right?
Many well-meaning people are SO confused about this topic. I had a poor women come into my office last week who currently had metastatic breast cancer telling me that she only eats alkaline and neutral foods – on this diet she was eating lots of beans, vegetables, fruits and sugars. She was terrified of meat and animal fat as she was concerned about the acidity. Meanwhile she was clearly wasting away from a lack of protein and fat in her diet and regardless her saliva was still extremely acidic.
Please, please, don’t be fooled by the alkaline / acid myth.
The issue of acidity and alkalinity is important to the body. Frequently when someone has cancer and they look at the ph of their saliva they see that they are acid. The obvious solution – eat an alkaline diet. This is the same faulty belief system that a person who has heart disease believes they should avoid cholesterol or that a fat person shouldn’t eat fat.
Let me break down the issue so you won’t be tempted to be one of those people spouting the incorrect assertions that we should all avoid meat and follow an alkaline diet to health. If that were true and worked we would all just need to add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to our diet and we would all be healed.
The body is supposed to be acidic.
First of all, understand that regardless of the acidity of the food or water you consume they all, immediately upon digestion, enter the acid bath of the stomach. The pH of all food is immediately lowered to a ph of around 2 regardless of what it was before we ate it.
Secondly, you need to understand the human body is designed to function in an acid medium. Deoxyribonucleic ACID (DNA) and Ribonucleic ACID (RNA) within our cells are acids, the expired air and all cellular metabolism are acidic. The bowels need to be acid to have the correct bacteria, the vagina, the skin, the urine are all acid. They need to be to function properly. We are by definition acid-consuming, acid-producing, and acid-eliminating organism.
An explanation of pH – The pH range is from 0-14:
0-6.9 is acidic
7 is neutral
7.1-14 is alkaline
The only thing that is supposed to be alkaline is human blood which maintains a pH right around 7.4. A chance either way in blood will kill you. So when people tell me they want to become alkaline the first question I ask them is what do you want to make alkaline. Most of the body is supposed to be acidic and the blood never changes. This is when they usually look back at me with a blank stare…the saliva they say dumbfounded. Alkaline saliva, which is a sign of good health, I explain to them is dependent completely on sufficient mineral content in our body.
It’s all about that mineral in the food.
So back to the food. When we’re talking about acid and alkaline foods, what we’re really talking about is the mineral content of the food. After food goes through cellular metabolism (like a furnace burning) the mineral ashes leftover have an acid or alkaline potential.
If the foods are high in calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium then they have an alkaline potential. Meats, like fish and beef, are high in acidic element phosphorus.
Meat is good for you
Many people incorrectly believe that meat is bad for you because it contains a high about of phosphoric acid. What most don’t realize is that organic acids like phosphorus (minerals in meat) are easily neutralized by the body and do not acidify it. In fact, a large body of research has shown eating more protein is necessary to maintain proper ph and bone mineral density.
This phosphoric acid is actually beneficial because it helps the body’s metabolism get rid of waste and other acids. Additionally, proteins from these meats are converted into our basic essential amino acids and enzymes systems that are required to digest and utilize other nutrients and minerals. Let me say this one more time in capital letters for effect, IT DOESN’T MATTER THE ACIDITY OR ALKALINITY OF THE FOOD WHEN YOU EAT IT, ONLY THE MINERALS THAT ARE LEFT BEHIND AND THE HEALTH OF THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM. Got it?
What acidifies the body is eating empty refined foods that have a low mineral content and the subsequent acids created by altered cellular metabolism. Refined foods act like a magnet pulling the mineral content out of the body.
FOODS THAT ACIDIFY THE BODY
Processed foods low in minerals and vitamins (anything in a package)
- Refined sugar
- Soda and all sugar-based drinks including fruit juice
- Refined and GMO grains
- Refined white salt
- Prescription medications
Two things happen as a result of all these high calorie nutritionally empty foods.
- Our body has to give up the alkaline minerals to buffer the acidity of these foods
- Our endocrine system (adrenals, pancreas, liver, thyroid, parathyroid, etc) have to work extra hard to try keep our alkalinity and blood sugar in balance.
The body can only do this for a short time before the endocrine system begins to fail and we run out of minerals. This is when acidosis, cancer, lowered energy, weight gain and the entire family of metabolic diseases take hold in the body…and our saliva turns acidic
The 6 solutions:
There are 6 easy solutions to heal a damaged acidic system and restore proper alkalinity to the body.
- Exercise: The greatest acid in the body is the carbon dioxide acid created by cellular metabolism. Carbon dioxide is removed by the lungs. By exercising, moving and breathing oxygen deeply you will remove approximately 70% of the acid from your body.
- Water: Healthy kidney function is a requirement for excreting hydrogen ions (acids) from the body via the urine and reabsorbing and reutilizing bicarbonate from the urine. For the kidneys to be able to flush this acid, they need clean water free of chlorine and fluoride. It helps if the water is slightly alkaline. Alkaline water is created because it has alkaline minerals in it such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium. Please don’t fall for the scam that alkaline water can be created by ionizing it with electrolysis. If you want to throw away $2000 dollars on an alkaline water machine, I got a bridge you should buy first. This water does not maintain alkalinity but rather buffers your stomach acid creating more metabolic dysfunction.
- Eat minerals and nutrient-dense foods only. The most mineral-dense foods on earth are organic vegetables grown in healthy soil and the animals that feed on the mineral-rich vegetation such as grass-fed beef and wild fish. The products Super Fuel with minerals and Calcium/Magnesium are wonderful sources of highly alkalizing minerals that I frequently prescribe to my patients.
- Stomach Acid: You must have enough stomach acid to break down the food and absorb the minerals, B vitamins, and break down the protein. Even if you are eating a mineral-dense diet but are low in stomach acid you will not absorb or utilize those minerals. Studies have proven by the age of 50, people have only 15% of the stomach acid they had at 25 years of age. Sufficient stomach juices are essential for health. You can accomplish this by putting raw apple cider vinegar in your water or taking a stomach juice
- Healthy Liver and Bile: Once the stomach is done acidifying the food and seeping out many of the minerals, it becomes the job of liver bile to brink back up the pH. A sluggish liver or gall bladder will create rancid acidic foods in the intestines and this is extremely acidifying to the body. If you get these symptoms then you can be almost sure that you have liver and gall bladder stasis and need Liver/GB Drainage
- Feeling like a weight in your stomach after eating,
- Bloating or gas,
- High Cholesterol,
- High liver enzymes,
- Bad skin,
- Pain behind the right shoulder blade
- Fat Soluble Vitamins: Once you eat and absorb the minerals then you need to have enough Fat-Soluble Vitamins. Weston A Price proved in his research and emphatically stated, “It is possible to starve for minerals that are abundant in the foods eaten because they cannot be utilized without an adequate quantity of the fat-soluble activators.” Eating good, healthy animal fats like grass-fed butter, egg yolks, and organ meats are necessary to utilize minerals. This is why the vegetarian diet doesn’t work in accomplishing alkalinity. I recommend all my patients with acidic saliva to get a fatty acid profile test. With this simple blood test, you can determine the fats levels in your body and then correct it with proper supplementation. If you don’t the test, just take EPA/DHA because you are probably deficient.
Acidosis of the saliva is a symptom of poor health, not the result of consuming foods that are high in acid potential minerals like meat. To heal and alkalize your body and address the cause of the acidosis, improve your diet and quit eating refined high sugar foods. THEN, initiating the 6 easy steps laid out. All of these are part of the Whole Body Health formula. For most people, it takes a minimum of two months of following the above protocol to begin to see the saliva becoming more alkaline.
If you need help with your health, set up a phone consult with Dr. Tim Weeks and let him take your health and life to the next level.
Yours in Health,